Monday, June 26, 2006

4 Days And Counting!!!

As I write this blog, it is 4 more days until that great day in "roadgeekdom"... the Interstate Highway System's 50th Birthday!!!

Yesterday, the Georgia DOT began celebrations with a vintage car ride down I-75 from Windy Hill Road in Cobb County to The Varsity in Downtown Atlanta. To read more about this event, please click here for the article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

At this very moment, a transcontinental convoy from San Francisco is travelling to Washington in commemoration of Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1919 military convoy, an event that helped shape the idea in his mind of a federal superhighway system. Thanks to modern-day GPS technology, you can see where the convoy is currently located courtesy of AASHTO. Click here for updates.

National City Network features webcasts of the historic convoy. Click here to see for yourself (NOTE: DSL or better connections work best.)

The public radio program "Living On Earth" recently interviewed Interstate expert and author Dan McNichol as he traveled down I-90. Please click here for a transcript and audio.

Yes, folks, the "Big 5-0" is approaching quick and we, your friends at "The Georgia Road Geek", encourage you to take a moment of your time to reflect on how the Interstate Highway System has affected your life and your travels down both the literal highways and the proverbial "highway of life".

Finally, I'd like to give a special "thank you" to my dad, for letting me be his "navigator". When I was a child, he would hand me the maps and I would help him get to one of our many vacation destinations. This helped give me an appreciation of America's various and sundry roads and highways. I guess I was a "roadgeek" before I found out what one was. :)

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and please come back again.

No comments: