Friday, January 19, 2007

Sign Goofs And Milton County

Yesterday, at Fry's Electronics in Alpharetta, I bought us another digital camera, a Canon PowerShot A530, to add to our digital photography arsenal.

To try it out, I took it with me to work... and don't you know it, I found some "sign goofs" that just virtually begged me to take their pictures. :)

First one was on GA 141/Peachtree Industrial Boulevard (PIB) north at Chamblee-Tucker Road in Chamblee. The sign said "TO I-285" and pointed right, leading one to believe that they should turn there to go to I-285 instead of just proceeding up PIB. It had replaced a prior sign which said "TO I-85".

The second goof was spotted just this morning along US 19/GA 400 southbound between Windward Parkway (Exit 11) and GA 120/Old Milton Parkway (Exit 10). In that particular instance, two (2) new "big green signs" (BGS) for Old Milton were mounted just last night. There was one thing the contractor forgot to include on them... the state route shield for GA 120!!!

Please click here for the special feature page I created for these goofs.

In other Georgia road news, the Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) has proposed improvements for 2 busy major highways in the Atlanta area, Buford Highway (US 23/GA 13) in DeKalb and Gwinnett Counties and Tara Boulevard (US 19/41/GA 3) in Clayton County. Please click here to read the article from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

And finally, for all you "county clinchers" out there, legislation has been introduced in the Georgia House of Representatives (House Resolution 12) for a proposed constitutional amendment aimed at recreating Milton County from North Fulton County. If the bill passes the General Assembly and is signed by the Governor (which is likely), then it would go before all Georgia voters in a statewide referendum on November, 2008. Please click here to read it.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and please come back again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I'm seeing it all over the country now, in that sign installers don't bother to look at what they are replacing, but rather just replace the existing sign with a new sign wholesale without making changes. I made a post on my own blog last month about a slew of sign changes in Delaware, where the contractor didn't even bother to replace "MUST EXIT" with "EXIT ONLY". I've seen bad signs replaced with bad signs in other places, such as NC as well.