Monday, October 31, 2005

Our Savannah Trip

Last weekend, my wife Mary and I went on a weekend getaway to Savannah to check out the sites.

Our first stop was the Savannah Visitors Center, located just north of where I-16 dumps you into the downtown area (Montgomery Street).

From there, we did the Gray Line trolley tour that took us all over the historic district. We highly recommend the tour. In fact, if you can, see if you can get the guide named Gary, who is a former radio announcer and self-proclaimed "railfan".

At about noontime, we got off the trolley near "The Pirates House", an old restaurant and pirates' hangout from 1753 that has a wonderful lunch buffet.

After lunch, we walked over to the riverfront district, went into some of the shops, saw the "waving girl" statue, and just "hung out" for awhile. We also got a good shot of the Talmadge Bridge.

Our last sightseeing stop was the Roundhouse Railroad Museum, which had a nice collection of old locomotives, passenger cars, and a HO-scale railroad setup operated by the Coastal Rail Buffs model railroading club. Again, this is a "must see" IMHO.

Being "The Georgia Road Geek", I had to partake of the hobby, of course. :)

I had taken at least a half-dozen photos. We even made a couple of videos of us traveling along a portion of I-16 from Chatham Parkway to the Talmadge Bridge (US 17 North/GA 404 Spur North), and then, later in the afternoon before leaving town, we drove on the Talmadge Bridge into South Carolina. During that jaunt, Mary took the video camera (a CVS photo special) and videoed us traveling back and forth. Once we use up about 6 more minutes of video, we'll take it back to CVS to be made into a DVD.

Here's Mary's first roadgeek photo taken on US 17 just yards from the end of the bridge:

If I may say so, my lovely wife makes a fine "roadgeek" and thank goodness she supports my endeavors. :)

BTW, Mary is into scrapbooking and has promised to do a "roadgeek scrapbook" with the photos I have taken over the years. Like building a new road, it is in the "planning stage" and construction will eventually start upon completion of our wedding scrapbook. Once it gets done, I'll let y'all know.

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please come back again.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carter Buchanan and I ventured into Savannah back in June to document the area freeways, drive the Talmadge Bridge again, and check out the latest with the Truman Parkway. Being the former Savannan that I am (I lived there between 1982-84), I especially had an interest in seeing how the area arterials and other surface streets had changed.

The Truman Parkway was close to being opened between DeRenne Avenue and Georgia 204 Spur. The four-lane asphalt freeway features sound walls and retention ponds as it travels through southeastern Savannah. The interchange along Spur 204 blew my mind as what was previously undeveloping woodland is now home to a diamond interchange!

Georgia 204 (Abercorn Street), Georgia 21 (DeRenne Avenue), and Waters Street pretty much looked the same as I remembered them from 1992 (when my Dad left Savannah for Pensacola). The freeways are vastly the same except for that there is no more button copy left :(. Otherwise I see a lot of growth west of Savannah toward Pooler and south toward Richmond Hill. Suburban sprawl type growth is pretty much what it is.