Thursday, October 06, 2005

Welcome To "The Georgia Road Geek"

Welcome to the Internet's newest roadgeek blogsite, "The Georgia Road Geek".

My name is Steve Williams, a lifetime resident of the Atlanta area.

Ever since I was a child, I have been interested in roads and everything about them... the good, the bad, and the ugly. Part of my love came out of being the "navigator" for my parents when we'd go on trips. I've been hooked on roads since. :)

In late 1997, I discovered that there were many others in cyberspace who shared my interest in roads.

From 1997 through 2002, I created and supported a website called "The Unofficial Georgia Highways Webpage", one of the first such sites from Georgia. Due to other commitments over the past few years such as Toastmasters, I really haven't done anything with the site, however.

My major interest in roadgeeking is the Governor's Road Improvement Program (GRIP), a program started in the late 1980's by the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT) to create non-interstate 4-lane corridors throughout the state and put every Georgia city within 20 miles (32 km) of a 4-lane highway, all in the name of economic development.

So far, two (2) GRIP corridors have been completed. They are as follows:

  • Appalachian Developmental Highway (Georgia Highway 515), which runs from the northern end of I-575 in Pickens County to the North Carolina state line in Towns County.
  • South Georgia Parkway (Georgia Highway 520), which runs from the Alabama state line in Columbus-Muscogee County to Jekyll Island.

For more GRIP information from GDOT, please click here.

For a wealth of overall information on Georgia's roads, I highly recommend you visit the Georgia Gateway page on AARoads, a site maintained by 2 of the Internet's "superstar road enthusiasts", Alex Nitzman and Andy Field.

In the future, I will be posting blogs regarding my recent observations along Georgia's highways.

You are also invited to post your own comments as well.

The next step will be adding the new domain name that I just purchased from Yahoo! Domains.

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please do so often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the first time I came across this kind of blog and I am interested on the updates that you will provide on roads.