Saturday, December 17, 2005

Rediscovering Roadgeeking

Dear Fellow Road Enthusiasts,

When I decided to start a "roadgeek blog" of my own, I never imagined that it would be such a hit.

For the last 3 years, I was heavily involved in my other great love, Toastmasters. During this time, I was the Georgia Toastmasters District's Lt. Governor and finally District Governor.

On July 1, 2005, I officially became a "has been" and that freed me up to take up other hobbies that I enjoy... especially "roadgeeking". I am still active in my local Toastmasters chapter in the Atlanta area, but I'm just a member now. Oh, what a feeling!!! :)

My love of "roadgeeking" was rekindled in late August, when my wife Mary and I were in Toronto for the Toastmasters International convention. During our trip there, I decided to put our new digital camera to work by taking some road sign photos. Since that was the first time we ever went to Canada, I figured that I'd be cheating myself if I didn't "roadgeek" some.

Not long after coming back to Atlanta, I decided to do something different in terms of my "roadgeeking". That's when I decided to do a "blogsite" (with some inspiration from my brother-in-law, who had been blogging for a while himself).

First, I went to Blogger and set up this blogsite. Second, I went to Yahoo! Small Business and purchased the domain name georgiaroadgeek.com. Finally, I started blogging, and (pardon the cliche) the rest is history. :)

Now, here are some acknowledgements..

First, I want to thank my brother-in-law Lib for inspiring me to blog in the first place. Incidentally, he and my sister Laura had taken the world's only known "roadgeek" pictures from Kazakhstan while they were there to adopt their lovely daughter (my niece) Stella.



















"CTON" is Russian for "STOP".

Second, I want to thank fellow road enthusiasts Geoff Hatchard, Pete Jenior, Adam Prince, J.T. Legg, Marc Fannin, "Froggie", Andy Field, Alex "Roaddog" Nitzman, and the rest of the road enthusiast community worldwide for supporting "The Georgia Road Geek".

Finally, I want to thank the love of my life and my best friend in the whole wide world... my lovely wife Mary. No matter what, she is always there to give me love, support, and encouragement. Honey, I love you more than anything else in the world! :)

That's all for today. Thanks always for visiting "The Georgia Road Geek" and please do so often.

No comments: