Sunday, August 27, 2006

Our DC, Maryland, and Virginia Trip


Steve at NC Welcome Center on I-85 NB (Photo taken by Mary Williams)



Today (Sunday, 8/27) at approximately 2:45 PM, just south of Greensboro, NC... I have now driven every mile of I-85 from Montgomery, AL, to Petersburg, VA!!! :)

Mary and I spent the last week in the Washington, DC, metro area. Other than "roadgeeking", we got to tour The White House, The Capitol, the Holocaust Museum, Arlington Cemetery, and the Smithsonian Air and Space and American History museums. We also visited Mount Vernon, saw Mary's old house in Chantilly (just south of the Dulles Airport), and did a lot of scenic driving and "roadgeeking". We also attended part of the Toastmasters International convention at the Hilton Washington. We actually stayed in Alexandria, VA, and took the DC Metro train for most of our DC visits. Kudos to the Metro for being convenient to most of the sites we visited.

Before reaching DC, we headed up US 29 to Charlottesville, VA, to visit Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and spend the night with her old friend Katherine. Thanks to Katherine, her husband Larry, and her mother Bunny for a wonderful time, plus a suggested scenic drive between Charlottesville and Fredericksburg that we took on our way to the DC area.

Besides clinching I-85, I also clinched I-295 in DC/Maryland, did some driving on I-64, I-66, I-81, I-395, I-495, and of course I-95 between I-85 and I-295 in Maryland. In addition to adding some new interstate driving mileage, I also added boatloads of new counties in DC, MD, NC, and VA, and even drove over the new Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

I took over 400 photos, and even Mary took several while we were on I-495 between Connecticut Avenue in Maryland to I-95/395 in Alexandria. Eventually, I'll go through them and share the best ones with y'all.

That's all for now. It's getting late, we've only been home since 8:30 PM, and I'm tired after nearly 12 hours on the road. Mary went to bed over an hour ago and I'm gonna join her.

Thanks for visiting and please come back again.




2 comments:

iwiwag said...

I've been on 85..... cool.

John Martin said...

Hope you enjoyed the Toastmasters International Convention during your trip to Washington DC.

The Washington Post had a less than flattering article on the event and the organization. There were a few quotes from Executive Director Donna Groh that showed just how much out-of-touch she is with the rank and file membership.

I was there the whole time, from Wednesday to Sunday (and staying in the Hilton). I continue to love each member while wondering if Toastmasters International will be able to get back on track.