Friday, February 10, 2006

GA 316 Update and Frappr! Maps

GA 316 Update - February 10, 2006

During the I-85/GA 316 interchange reconstruction, the ramp from Boggs Road to I-85 South will be closed for the next 3 years.

Please click here to read more about it on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's website.

Road Enthusiast Frappr! Maps

I have just created a "Georgia Road Geek" Frappr! Map for those who are readers of "The Georgia Road Geek" and/or fans of Georgia's roads, highways, and byways, and you are cordially invited to add yourself to it. Please click here for the map.

I also encourage you to check out the following additional road enthusiast Frappr! maps as well...

- Frappr! Southeast Roads
- Frappr! Northeast Roads
- Frappr! Roadgeek

Thanks in advance for your support of our Georgia Road Geek Frappr! Map and always for reading my blogs. Please come back often and tell all your friends about us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I-85 through North Gwinnett certainly bears no resemblance to how it did ca. 1995 or so. I remember it actually used to be a pretty and enjoyable drive back then...now it's like a no-rules racetrack w/ some of the ugliest engineering work anywhere.

I do have to admit, though, that a GA 316 interchange rebuild was in DIRE need. Do you think they'll simply remove the Boggs Road ramps when it's done? Boggs Road only has ramps as it is because it was needed as access. Old maps actually show Boggs Road unpaved on both ends with the only paved part being the access to GA 316 east and I-85 north.

When I'm in Atlanta and drive Old I-85, I often fantasize what it must have been like to have driven that back when it was still the Northeast Expressway and again right after the extension to GA 317 was completed in 1963.

I've found online a few pics of the old northeast expressway how it originally looked. It looked basically like a four-lane divided city street with ramps. One of my earliest memories was the tight trumpet at Brookwood (the Banana Split).