Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Last GA 400 Button Copy Sign Gone

Just a quick post for today...

Today, as I was driving up US 19/GA 400 on the way home from work, I noticed that the very last button copy sign, which was for Abernathty Road/Dunwoody (Exit 5A), has been removed and replaced with a new split BGS Abernathy Road East-Exit 5A/Abernathy Road West-Exit 5B.

Approaching the Northridge Road exit (Exit 6), there is a new BGS for "Chattahoochee River National Rec Area/Roswell Visitor Center", one northbound and one southbound. (IMHO, the sign should have been a brown/blue combo for the CRNRA and RVC, respectively, but hey, I didn't make the decision.)

As soon as I can get photos, I'll post them here for y'all.

US 19/GA 400 Construction Update: Contractors are installing the new drainage system in the median.

Thanks for visiting and please do so often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've got pics of the vast majority of the old BGS (both fiber glass and button copy) on 400. I did that project last spring when I was living in Marietta. I will be posting all of those on the SR 400 page when I put it up (a limited amount are on AARoads atm). Maybe you wouldn't mind letting me quote parts of your history of 400 for the page?

I am fairly knowledgeable about 400, but the only section I was old enough to see built and open was the Atlanta section in 1991. The Atlanta section also had a short-lived banner route, Loop 407, which remained partially signed for over a decade. Essentially, if they had been retained, every Atlanta section exit was at one point a state route: 237 Conn., 141 Conn. and 407 Loop. Abernathy Road was petitioned by the legislature to become a state route as well in 1997, but so far it only has a temporary designation: SR 947.

You might be interested to know that 400 replaced a major highway on the north end of the route: SR 9E. I have never had the time to get things together for a decent page, but if you go onto my state routes page and link to the old version (in the top paragraph) there is a map and some info on 9E. SR 9E ran from Coal Mountain to Dahlonega following present-day Hopewell, Lumpkin Campground, Harmony Church and Auraria Roads as well as part of SR 136. Part of Old 9E overlaps 400 twice.

What I'd give for a picture of the intersection of Old 9E and 318 or 226 when they were still around, all long gone. All the LWS were still in place on 9E at Old 318 (Dawson Forest) until the outlet mall was built. There is only one remaining. I managed pics of two of them.

Anonymous said...

If we're discussing signs on 400 with errors, it might be good to note that the signs for Exit 11, Windward Parkway, were misspelled for about 3 months this summer.

There are two signs for this exit on the northbound route and two for the southbound route. One of each spelled the name of the road as W-I-N-W-A-R-D.

This has since been replaced.