Saturday, April 15, 2006

My Virtual Bainbridge Trip

Tonight, via Yahoo! Instant Messenger, fellow road enthusiast and AARoads co-webmaster Alex Nitzman took yours-truly on a "virtual trip" along the Bainbridge By-Pass (US 27/84 GA 1/38).
Now that I've seen them, I want to talk the wife into a real roadtrip down US 27 to Tallahassee so that I can add several more Georgia counties (plus at least one in Florida).

Last February, Alex had taken a detour through Bainbridge and Thomasville, and of course he snapped a boatload of photos in the process. As always, the photos are of the excellent quality that we, fans of the AARoads site, have come to expect. If you've never visited AARoads, then you've never visited a "road site". The URL is www.aaroads.com.

At some point in the future, Alex plans to put these photos on the Georgia Gateway page of AARoads, so I don't want to "steal his thunder" by placing any on this blogsite.

Speaking of the Georgia Gateway, do expect some new photos of I-675 to be coming soon. For future expansion, he is also planning to add some Albany By-Pass (US 19/82/GA 3/300/520) coverage.

BTW, here's a picture of my mobile ham radio gear that I setup when I'm in my truck...



It's a Vertex VX-150 2m handie-talkie, running 5 watts power max through a glass mounted MFJ 1738 whip antenna. The standard antenna is a "rubber duckie" for normal handheld usage. The glass-mounted antenna, though, enables me to run it much better as a makeshift mobile rig.

A special thanks to Alex for the "virtual Bainbridge trip" and to y'all for reading "The Georgia Road Geek". Again, have a Happy Easter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Bainbridge coverage is now online at http://www.southeastroads.com/georgia.html under the U.S. 27 and 84 pages. The I-675 page was also updated as of last weekend to including northbound coverage. As for Albany, well I have to go there first before I can put any material online of it, so that's a trip for the future...