Sunday, May 07, 2006

Ham Radio, Toastmasters, and Roadgeeking

Yesterday, on my 140-mile (220 km) round trip from Forsyth County to Peachtree City, I combined three of the things I like to do all in one... ham radio, Toastmasters, and roadgeeking!!! :)

Before I left the house, I packed the good digital camera and snapped a boatload of GA 400 construction photos between McFarland and Holcomb Bridge Roads. Here's one of them...

I also snapped several shots as I approached the GA 400 toll plaza. Again, here's one of them...


I have to note that my "roadgeek influence" for my group of toll plaza approach shots was C.C. Slater (a.k.a. Comrade Mister Yamamoto). For a sample of his unique brand of roadgeek work, please click here.

When I arrived in Fayetteville (20 miles/32 km south of Atlanta), I noticed something on GA 54 that I've never really seen here in Georgia... BGS that inform you of major intersections. I just had to stop and snap a picture of one of them on GA 54 west just outside Fayetteville...

My ham radio 2-meter handie-talkie helped keep me company on the ride down, and my biggest ham thrill was that I was able to have a QSO (conversation) with a Dahlonega ham via a repeater situated over 70 miles north of Atlanta. Normally, VHF frequencies don't have such a range like HF (shortwave) frequencies do, but atmospheric conditions were just right to allow my 5-watt signal to reach Dahlonega from as far away as the Atlanta Airport!!! :)

The primary mission of my trip to Peachtree City was Toastmasters... particularly our Georgia Spring Conference, where I was a voting delegate on behalf of our local Club in Cumming and as Immediate Past Georgia District Governor.

Having been the Georgia District Governor last year, and Lt. Governor for 2 years prior, I, along with my lovely wife Mary (a Past Georgia District Governor and Past International Director), dedicated much of our lives to our beloved Toastmasters. This year, we decided to cut back on our involvement at the statewide level and it gave us the opportunity to pursue things that we otherwise didn't have time for (her scrapbooking and beading and my roadgeeking and hamming).

Mary was unable to make the conference due to her work schedule, but I'm glad I was able to do so and see several of my "Toastmaster buddies". It was great to hang out with several of them and I was so touched by how much they've missed us over the last several months.

Finally, I just want to congratulate our dear Toastmaster friends Lee, Joy, and Cindy for being elected Georgia District Governor, Lt. Governor of Education and Training, and Lt. Governor of Marketing, respectively. We know that they will serve our fellow Georgia Toastmasters well.

Dinner's ready and I better get it before the cat does. Thanks for reading and please do so often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I share my dinner with my cats! Meow!

Anonymous said...

I photograph every toll plaza that I travel through as part of my usual rounds on the road. This past weekend work sent us to Key West to update a road map that is being reissued for hurricane season. That and two days in Miami allowed me to finish all of the freeways and tollways there, and I photographed all of the toll plazas, including the dinky one on Card Sound Road.