Saturday, July 08, 2006

Pine Log Diversion

Last Monday, on our way back home from Subligna, Mary spotted a "See Rock City" barn on US 411/GA 61 just yards north of GA 140. She wanted to snap a picture of it and I happily obliged her. :) Here's the photo...


Just after snapping the pic, we ventured a little further north on US 411 and wound up turning at the tunnel bridge. There we spotted a green historical marker for the Pine Log United Methodist Church, so we went under the bridge to see the church. Here's a picture of the marker itself...

Not only did we see the church (a beautiful one at that), but we also got a look at the bridge, which is featured in J.T. Legg's Peach State Roads website. Here's our own photo of it...

Here's also a closeup of the old "JUNCTION US 411/GA 61" sign...

My wife wanted to move the kudzu, but I asked her to leave it "as is" for a somewhat "artistic" purpose. In today's vernacular, I wanted her to "keep it real". :)

For J.T. Legg's pictures and his perspective, please click here.

I'm glad my wife wanted to get a picture of the "See Rock City" barn. It also goes to show that when you venture off the beaten path sometimes, you never know what you'll encounter. Besides that and the old historic church, it was really neat to see the old tunnel bridge that I've only seen on J.T.'s website. In the end, I got a little history... and a little unexpected "extra roadgeeking" done.

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please do so often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel so popular now...I got a reference in your blog ;) NOW if I could turn my attention BACK to the very rusted and abandoned looking Peach State Roads. I currently have a Georgia Mall diversion that is also a new blog.