Wednesday, July 26, 2006

What's Up With That?

Today, as I made my way north up GA 400, I noticed that the Georgia DOT has replaced BGSes (that's "Big Green Signs") for McFarland Road (Exit 12 South/12A-B North) with new ones that say "McFarland Pkwy".

Forsyth County, who maintains this particular road, has not changed street signs... at least not yet.

Being "The Georgia Road Geek", my inquiring mind wants to know what's up with that, so I sent an e-mail to the Forsyth County Roads and Bridges Department. As soon as I get an answer, I'll share it with y'all.

In any event, this looks like yet another "roadgeek photo op", so I'll get a picture taken and post it for your viewing pleasure ASAP.

Has anyone else out there read the latest Atlanta Journal-Constitution (AJC) article regarding future roads and road improvements and the ideas of putting tolls on them? What's up with that? Click here to read it for yourself and please feel free to share your comments with us.

As I've said in past blogs, we have brought much of this mess upon ourselves by allowing development to get out-of-hand... and the politicians want us literally to pay to fix it with public-private initiative projects (PPIs) that will slap tolls on all newly constructed roads and newer lanes parallelling segments of existing roads. To our politicans, I say let's get a handle on the out-of-control growth first and foremost instead of just throwing money at projects that, at best, will be nothing but temporary "band-aids". Here's another AJC article listing the current PPIs proposed for Georgia.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and please do so often.

No comments: