Saturday, November 11, 2006

I-185 Callboxes And GA 400 Status Report

Callbox on I-185 northbound at mile 41.3 in Troup County.

In Georgia, I-185 is the only interstate with motorist aid callboxes.

The above pictured callbox, a solar-powered cellular unit, is one of 147 installed on a 40-mile (65 km) stretch from I-185's northern end at I-85 near LaGrange to just south of US 80/GA 22 (Exit 10 - J.R. Allen Parkway/Fall Line Freeway) in Columbus/Muscogee County.

In 1999, the U.S. Department of Transportation's Intelligent Transportation Systems Joint Program Office received a report on the effectiveness of these boxes. Please click here to read it.

IMHO, given the apparent success of the I-185 callboxes, I am somewhat surprised that such units are not installed on I-16, which contains longer desolate stretches as it makes it way from Macon to Savannah. If they have been successful on I-185, then why not install them on I-16? After all, not everyone may have a cellphone, or perhaps someone's cellphone may be dead, and this would give at least an option for a stranded motorist to get help if needed.

BTW, here's my latest episode of "ROADGEEK-CAM!!!" featuring I-185. (NOTE: DSL-or-faster connection recommended.)

And finally, US 19/GA 400...

This weekend, the Georgia DOT has been doing a massive push to complete the work on the new northbound lanes between Holcomb Bridge Road (Exit 7) in Roswell to Windward Parkway (Exit 11) in Alpharetta. Their goal, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, is to have these lanes open to traffic on Monday morning. Please click here to read the article.

The construction also includes new ramp meter lights that have been installed on the ramps from Northridge Road (Exit 6) in Sandy Springs to Windward. A few months ago, I have sent GDOT an e-mail asking when they would become operational, but have not received a response. If I learn anything from any source I can find, then I will pass it along.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and please do so often.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The call boxes were entirely removed from Interstate 185 in the past few years. This is due to the widespread availability and use of cellular phones.