Friday, March 10, 2006

I-75: A Superhighway On Steroids

A superhighway on steriods.... SAY WHAAAAAT?!!!!

If the Georgia DOT and the Georgia Transportation Partners consortium have their way, I-75 in Cobb County, at a whopping 23 lanes wide, will truly be a superhighway on steroids!!!

Furthermore, under the Northwest Corridor public-private initiative proposal, I-75 and I-575 would be "guinea pigs" for a little-tested concept of truck-only toll lanes, which, according to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution, the Georgia Motor Trucking Association is apparently wary of.

To read more about it, please click here for the article from the Atlanta-Journal Constitution.

Is this going to help us here in Metro Atlanta solve our traffic problems? I don't know... but I do know that our elected officials need to help us get a handle on the out-of-control growth that has exacerbated the entire traffic situation.

Am I "anti-roads"? No. Am I "pro-controlled development"? You betcha.

What can we do to get a handle on this out-of-control development? I don't have all the answers, but I do know that we need to let our elected officials know that they need to stop letting developers run amok and put some kind of reasonable controls on such things as new subdivisions and shopping malls. By doing so, it can help to guarantee the quality of life for both us and future generations, plus help Metro Atlanta remain a place where businesses want to set up shop. Again, I don't have all the answers, but we and our elected officials need to start somewhere.

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please come back again.

No comments: