Monday, October 30, 2006

Our Brief Weekend Trip To Florida


Steve and Mary at the Florida Welcome Center on I-75

This past weekend, Mary and I took a brief trip down to Lakeland, Florida, to attend her mother's family reunion.

On the way, and while we were in the vicinity of Polk and Pasco Counties, we even did some "roadgeeking". The biggest "roadgeek treasure" was finding an old style US 98 shield on Pasco County Route 35 Alternate (Old Lakeland Road) near Dade City. Here it is...


TRAVEL HINT: If you are heading south on US 98/301 toward Lakeland (or north on US 98 from Lakeland toward I-75 and Brooksville), I suggest you take Pasco County Route 35 Alternate (Old Lakeland Road) to US 98. The speed limit is 55 MPH (90 km/h) and you will definitely bypass a bunch of stop-and-go traffic.

We also got some other photos , plus some video footage for a future Florida edition of "ROADGEEK-CAM!!!" that I will produce and upload as soon as possible. In the meantime, I have taken the I-75/I-475 video footage I shot on the way down and produced it for y'all. Please click here to see it. (NOTE: DSL-or-better connection recommended.)

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and please come back again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is an oddball shaped U.S. 301 yellow shield on Pasco County 54 westbound there too. The better looking coloured shields in Dade City were replaced however. If you saw the Dade City Business Loop (the two overheads that refer to it at least), that was history, because AASHTO voted to decommission that loop at Dade City's request last month.