Sunday, January 01, 2006

"County Counting"

Recently, my wife and I found a "county counting" website called Mob Rule, where you can create maps documenting each county within the U.S. that you have ever set foot into.

My wife has decided to document each county that she has physically been in, but being the roadgeek that I am, I have decided to document only those counties I have actually driven either through or into.

For instance, here is a map (generated from Mob Rule) showing which Georgia counties (shaded in blue) I have actually driven either through or into:

I also have created maps of counties I have driven either through or into for the following additional states: Alabama, California, Florida, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

If I were to count other counties that I have set foot into, I could count counties in Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California (Riverside), Florida, the District of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia.

Outside of the U.S., I can count every Ontario county and region on the Queen Elizabeth Way between Toronto and Niagara Falls. (While we were there, we took either public transit or tour buses.)

The whole idea of "county counting" actually came from Mike, a Toastmaster friend of ours who works as a county extension agent and has pursued this hobby for several years. He's so good at counties, he can tell you right off the top of his head the exact number of counties there are in the U.S. (Thanks, Mike, for your inspiration.)

As I add more "driven-through" counties to my collection, I'll let you know.

That's all for now. Thanks for visiting and please come back again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you haven't seen it already, you might check out the Extra Miler Club (www.extramilerclub.org), which is the "official" organization for county-hunting.

("Official" insofar as an article on EMC in the Wall Street Journal about 10 years ago is how I came to find out that my father and I aren't the only ones who count counties.)

Anonymous said...

County collecting was introduced to me by "Froggie" in 1999, and has become more of an obsession for me since 2001. I have an account at mob-rule.org/counties and right now stand at 1,114. Before I started this, I had 600 something. Amazing what a new hobby can do for your travels too, as county collecting gets me into places I'd otherwise ignore.

FWIW, my Dad was in Toastmasters for 20 years or so. I went with him several times to the meetings in Savannah during the 1990s.