Sunday, January 01, 2006

Holiday Roadgeeking 2005

Happy New Year, fellow road enthusiasts!!!

During the Christmas holiday, Mary and I went down to Florida to visit her family.

While we were there (and traveling to and from Florida), we even did some "roadgeeking" and "cinched" Florida's Polk Parkway toll road (FL 570). Here's a photo of the Polk Parkway BGS just after entering from I-4 just northeast of Lakeland:

On our way to Florida, we got stuck on I-75 southbound near the merge with I-675 and we were crawling all the way to just south of McDonough. On the way home from Florida, the northbound I-75 traffic really stunk, too, all the way from just south of McDonough all the way to the I-675 split. Here's a photo we took on I-75 southbound near GA 138 (Exit 228) around 3 PM just 3 days before Christmas:


It seems that no matter what time of the day (or even time of the year), everytime we're on I-75 between Stockbridge and McDonough, the traffic just stinks. :(

I-75 between Tifton and Valdosta was a major mess, too, as Georgia DOT (GDOT) had it torn up for the ongoing widening projects. Parts of it between Tifton and Valdosta were narrowed down and the speed limit was 60 MPH (100 km/h). I'm looking forward to seeing it completed and hopefully, by the time we head to Florida next Christmas, the streches currently being widened will be.

Kudos to GDOT for suspending road work during the holidays, though. :)

That's all for now. May you and yours have a very happy and prosperous 2006, thanks for reading and supporting "The Georgia Road Geek", and please come back again.

No comments: