Saturday, September 09, 2006

Latest News From South Georgia

Yesterday afternoon, I came across an article in The Valdosta Daily Times about a proposal to widen the I-75 interchange with GA 122 (Exit 29) near Hahira in northern Lowndes County.

According to the article, the widening would affect several businesses and the proposed expansion to the Waters Edge subdivision. The City of Hahira reports that the affected businesses alone account for nearly 40% of their tax revenue. These businesses include a motel, a BP station, and a liquor store. For the full article from the Valdosta Daily Times, please click here.

For the past several years, the Georgia DOT has been widening I-75 from a 4-lane divided highway to a 6-or-more-lane divided highway due to the increasing traffic volumes going to and coming from Florida. Once the section between GA 133 (Exit 18 - Valdosta/Moultrie, "Billy Langdale Parkway" GRIP Corridor) in Lowndes County to GA 300 (Exit 99 - Georgia-Florida Parkway/Albany) in Crisp County has been widened, this will give I-75 travelers 3-or-more lanes each way from Chattanooga, Tennessee, to the Florida Turnpike (including the now-fully widened I-475 Macon By-Pass).

For more information on the I-75 widening in South Georgia from GDOT, please click here.

That's all for now. Thanks for reading and please come back again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just saw all of the construction down there in Valdosta. Having seen it, I only drove the stretch between Georgia 133 to U.S. 41 while heading north in an effort to travel Business Loop I-75. Once in downtown Valosta, I found a couple of shields for BL I-75 and nothing else. After photographing them, I continued south along U.S. 41 into Jasper, Florida, which was a much calmer and non-trafficky way to go...